Thursday, July 14, 2011

Biking - SWC Thursday evening ride

Tonight was the weekly Schenectady Wintersports Club beer and pizza ride. I had decided earlier in the day that I was going to ride this one my way, and not get caught up in the hammerfest that often ensues. I'd ride at my own pace, even if that meant riding alone.

It was a long uphill for the first 8 miles, and then lots of downhill back to the start.



The usually fast group left early, and I decided not to go with them, and wait until the normal starting time. One other woman was also going to ride this 20-miler, so I waited for her and we stuck together. I was much faster climbing the hills, so I'd wait and get back together to be sure we made the same turns. It was a pleasant ride on nice roads, and at a comfortable pace.

The downhill on Westfall Road from mile 18 to 19.5 was a real screamer, reaching over 14% at one point. Even riding the brakes, I hit almost 40 mph, but was extremely lucky. Reaching the stop sign at the bottom, my rear tire suddenly went pfffffffffft and flatted. A few minutes earlier, and the outcome would have been very different. I fixed the flat and limped back to the start for beer and pizza, the last one to arrive.

Tires on both bikes, from the flats of the past two weeks, will be replaced this weekend with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires that were so good to me on the tour last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment