Friday, May 6, 2011

Trip to the driving range, and then biking - finally a nice day!

A few weeks ago, I spent a rather pathetic and discouraging hour at the local golf range, spraying balls in every conceivable direction, except straight. I returned there today, with just one club, and finally found my groove (at least with that club!) I don't belong on a golf course just yet, but the progress was at least encouraging.

With temps approaching 70, and despite a growing wind, I next hit the road on the bike to get in some climbing. With the recent spate of dismal weather, wind would be the least thing that would stop me from getting out on an otherwise fantastic day. After struggling through the hilly ride of last Sunday, I knew I had work to do, and with the variety of climbs up out of the Mohawk Valley, there are plenty of choices. The shortest is probably Rector Road, west of Scotia on the north side of the river. It's about 1.6 miles to the top, with the steepest climbing in the first .8 mile, up to 10% grades. I put together a ride that would take me up Rector,and then to the Charlton General Store for lunch, about 24 miles total, and mostly downhill to the end.



The wind was increasing from the west as I passed through Scotia and out along the river to the base of the climb. I actually made it up non-stop with one cog to spare, and my breathing felt much better than last week. Time to move on to some longer hills. Another positive sign for the day!

The rest of the ride was pleasantly rolling, both before and after a delicious lunch at the store, and I was back to the car at SCCC in good time. Now it's time to put together a string of rides like this, and to feel the fitness again that I apparently lost over the winter. Hiking and XC skiing a couple times a week just wasn't regular enough to maintain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment