Monday, May 9, 2011

Biking - A lumpy, windy 27 miles

Ordinarily, I would have been home this morning watching Stage 3 of the Giro d'Italia (Tour of Italy) bike race, but I decided to get out for a ride myself instead. When I returned home, I was shocked to learn of a terrible accident, where a Belgian rider going downhill around a hairpin turn had a horrific crash, and was killed. Sobering thought, when it can happen to a seasoned pro...

RIP Wouter Weylandt 1984-2011
Anyway, I did some hills of my own today, but I've long since lost the reckless abandon I once had. Traded it in for some aged wisdom and a good set of brakes.

I needed to do some climbing today, so I went to my old standby, Grant Hill Road. But today, I pushed a bigger gear than I normally would, just to see if I could do it, and also to start building some leg strength. Grant Hill, Wormer, and Relyea Roads all provided some short pitches that I rode this way, and it felt pretty good. The legs are coming along.

When I reached the southernmost point from home, a big northerly headwind began to blow, and it was a struggle all the way home. Well, I was looking for a workout, so I guess I shouldn't complain. It was a good ride, and the sunny cool weather was extremely welcome, despite the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment