Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Real golf (finally - sort of) and another round of disc golf

I'm really itching to get back on a golf course, after hardly playing at all last summer, and watching the pros on many Sundays (which sometimes induces a nap). But I needed to know I wouldn't totally embarrass myself before I do that. So, after a fairly good day at the driving range last week, today I went to Players Park in Clifton Park, where there's a 9-hole pitch-and-putt course. Most of the holes are under 100 yards, and I can play this course with 3 clubs, one of which is a putter. It's a good tune-up and test of where I am. I forgot to pick up a score card, and it was just as well. I just played the holes and gauged my readiness. Four lost balls in the first three holes didn't bode well, and since I'd only brought four, I thought I was done. Fortunately, I found some other golfers' lost balls, and was able to continue. I was hitting it solidly every time, but having trouble knowing how hard to hit the pitching wedge, which was the right club for every hole. That's what got me in trouble. Aside from that, I think I'm ready for a real golf course, at least something like Hillcrest, where there's very little in the way of trouble.

Then, after doing a few household spring fixups, I headed back to Central Park for another round of disc golf, matching my lowest round so far, before setting off on a bunch of errands. Overall, a very productive and enjoyable day, with the spectacular weather we've waited months for.

No comments:

Post a Comment