Thursday, July 30, 2009

Biking - Long River Loop and Lunch

Despite riding 30 miles yesterday, and there being an SWC ride this evening, I wasn't going to waste the first nice (aka "dry") day we've had in what seems like weeks. So I decided to get in a little longer saddle time, do an easy ride, and get some lunch at Karen's Produce and Ice Cream, near Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site on the Erie Canalway Trail. I did this ride back in April, and again in May, but it had been a while and it seemed to fit what I was looking for.

Starting at Schenectady County Community College, the round trip is 43-44 miles, nearly all flat. What I didn't realize was that there was a strong west headwind all the way to my destination. It was a bit of a struggle at times, but knowing the ride home would be like sailing made it all palatable. After a great pulled pork sandwich and lemonade at Karen's, I turned around and headed back east. It was much easier riding now, and I decided to make it even easier by crossing over to NY5 in Amsterdam and cruising home that way. NY5 is wide open to the wind and has good shoulders, and I was cranking 20mph or better much of the way back to Schenectady, with very little effort. All told, I put in about 43 miles, and will likely add another 15-20 this evening, if the legs last that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment