Thursday, August 16, 2012

Biking - SWC Thursday night ride

Back in the saddle for the first time since the Ididaride.  As I was putting air in my tires at home before leaving for this ride, I noticed this:


My rear rim was cracked.  I had no idea how long these cracks had been there, but now that I'd seen them, I wouldn't be riding on this wheel again.  At least not after tonight.  I considered not riding at all tonight, but figured that a relatively short and flat ride on smooth pavement would be safe enough just this once.  So I did a 14-mile loop from Scotia to Charlton and back, avoiding potholes, and got back early to the start for the usual beer and pizza.

Kinda  scary to think I might have been bombing the hills on the Ididaride at nearly 40mph with this wheel in this condition.  Bill Lewis at Adirondack Bicycle in Scotia is working on coming up with a replacement 36-spoke wheel.  In the meantime, I'll be riding the old Gitane 10-speed if I'm riding at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment