Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Biking - Stymied by closed roads

I've been off the bike now for just about 2 weeks, for a whole variety of reasons. Today, I wanted to get in 20 miles or so, just to do SOMETHING. So I set off down Kings Road, hoping to do a loop with Old State and West Lydius, with a possible side trip to see how French's Hollow weathered the storm. But it was not to be.



Everything was fine until I got to the intersection of Kings and Morris Roads. Kings was closed at that point eastbound, which was my intended route. So I went right on Morris, hoping to connect back via Curry Road Extension. But that was also closed. There was no choice but to head west on Curry Road. And there was no bailout point on that until I got to the roundabout at Curry and 146.

At that point I decided I'd had enough, and went 1/4 way around the circle and headed home. Leaving the circle via 146 or continuing on Curry Road had no appeal at all in the afternoon traffic, so I was done, after a measly 8.72 miles.

With the river routes still closed after the storm, I thought this would be an OK alternative, but apparently there are also problems in the Pine Bush.  Kind of annoying, since I didn't see these particular closures mentioned anywhere in the past few days. I'm going to find other things to do for the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment