Sunday, February 26, 2012

Walk, Sanders Preserve, Glenville, NY

Although it was a bright sunny day today, it was pretty cool and windy to think about biking. So I did some time on the trainer indoors, and then got out for a walk this afternoon. I didn't really want to visit the bike path again, so I settled on the Sanders Preserve, in the Glenville hills. In all the times I've been there, I've never stumbled on the leanto that's on the property. Some friends recently mentioned that they had failed to find it as well. So that was today's mission.

Walking briskly on the trails that took me to the point where I thought I should branch off and start looking, I found no trail, which seemed odd. So I bushwhacked, without the aid of GPS or compass, just following the terrain until I thought I was getting close. Once the leanto was in sight in the distance, I found myself on a faint unmarked trail that led right to it. And there it was - mission accomplished.

Heading back, I followed the unmarked trail to see where it led and where it intersected the marked trail system that's mapped. Now I know, and can easily find it again without bushwhacking. On my way back to the car, I ran into Hank and Margaret, who had been on a recent Schenectady ADK outing that I was also on. We chatted for a bit, and then I continued back to the car. It was a nice day for a walk, and this was much more interesting than another high-paced stomp down the bike path.

No comments:

Post a Comment