Monday, July 9, 2012

Biking, mini-golf, and more biking

Yesterday, after helping Holly with some pruning, we biked a short distance to a mini-golf and ice cream place near her house.  We do this several times a year just for a quick easy outing.

Today, with a big drop in humidity and much more comfortable weather, I got out for a more serious ride, a CCW loop from the Exit 26 Park and Ride in Scotia to Galway and back.


I knew that the 15 miles from the bottom of Spring Road to Galway would be a long gradual uphill grind, but what made it worse today was a pretty strong northwesterly breeze.  I was really ready for lunch when I reached the Galway Market at 17 miles.  They make great sandwiches here, and there are shady picnic tables in the small park across NY-147, a nice place for a break.

The climbing wasn't over yet, Right after lunch, westbound on Perth Road, there's another short pitch to the high point of the day's ride.  At least the wind was now across instead of in my face.  Turning south, it was a rolling downhill with a tailwind that helped on a couple of short steep uphills.  Then I reached the bottom of Ridge Road, at West Glenville Road.  I had thrown in this one last climb, the worst of the day, at the 31-mile point to test legs that I knew would be tired.  And they were.  I spun up this one in a low gear and just took it easy, but was glad to reach the top.  From there, it was downhill to the car, including a steep drop down Rector Road.  I'd only ever been up this one, and was a little surprised by just how steep it got toward the bottom.

All in all, it was about 37 miles with just under 2,000 feet of climbing.  It felt like a longer ride because of that initial long grind, and I was ready to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment