Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Biking - Fort Edward to Lake George

Today was another mid 80s very humid day, but little chance of rain, so I needed to get out for a ride. I wanted a moderately long ride, but relatively flat because of the heat and humidity. I decided to ride along the original Champlain Canal, the Glens Falls Feeder Canal Trail, and the Warren County Bikeway, a total of 32 miles R/T from Fort Edward to Lake George. A map of the entire route is available here. Most of the route is on off-street bike paths, and it makes a pleasant day's outing. I did this same ride back in May with some friends.

The route starts in Fort Edward, along the original Champlain Canal. Continuing on to the Feeder Canal, the route enters a park-like setting that also includes views into private backyards and passage through several industrial areas.



Between the Feeder Canal Trail and the Warren County Bikeway, the route briefly winds through city streets, mostly residential and quiet, before picking up the paved bike trail again. There are numerous street crossings in this initial section of the Bikeway, but drivers were very courteous. When I stopped at MY stop sign, drivers inevitably stopped and let me cross the street, which I acknowledged with waves and thanks. Having experienced less courtesy on the Feeder Canal crossings, this was most refreshing.

Lake George is the epitome of tacky tourism, but it really draws the crowds in summer. I bought a sub at a local shop and sat on the waterfront taking it all in.

You can take a lake cruise on any of several tour boats.



For the more adventurous, there's parasailing, towed by a boat and rising high above the lake. I tried this once in my younger years, and it was quite a rush, especially the initial ascent.



And of course, there's the "Million Dollar Beach". It was only half open today, so I guess that makes it only the "$500,000 Beach".



After lunch by the lake came the long gradual climb back out of Lake George, but it wasn't difficult. Back in Glens Falls, I stopped at Coopers Cave for ice cream. This place is very convenient, being directly alongside the trail, and it gets a lot of business from trail users.

From there I wound my way back to the Feeder Canal and back to the car after a very pleasant ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment