Friday, April 26, 2013

A wildflower bonanza in the Colonie Mohawk River Park

Today would have been a great day for a bike ride, but with a full day of trail maintenance coming up tomorrow, I didn't want to overdo it.  So instead, I got out for another wildflower walk, this time in what used to be called the Colonie Town Park, on the banks of the Mohawk River east of I-87.  I hadn't been there yet this spring, and it's relatively close to home, so it seemed like a good choice.  I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.  Click on each for a larger version.

Bloodroot
Rue-anemone

Early saxifrage
Hepatica


May apple


Fiddleheads

Turkey vulture


Trout lilies

Seeing those last few trout lilies on my way back to the car, I was reminded that I'd be passing right by the former Schenectady Museum Preserve on the way home, and there's a huge patch of trout lilies there very close to the car that I've been keeping my eye on.  It seemed worth another look.

I saw these just a few steps from the car, and had a pretty good idea what came next:


Just a few steps further along, I could see the effects of the last few days of warm weather.  The trout lilies here had virtually exploded into bloom.  This is the best patch of these I've ever seen this close to home.


I try to catch this spectacle every year, and today it was FINALLY here.  Must be spring at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment