Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Snowshoeing - Featherstonhaugh State Forest

It's almost that time again, the week of my monthly moonlight snowshoe outing for Schenectady ADK. We've had a little snow since last month, especially up in the hills where Featherstonhaugh State Forest is located. There was even a new inch or so in my yard this morning. So I thought I'd better check out Featherstonhaugh in case I actually got any sign-ups in the next few days.

When I got to the trailhead, I was almost wishing I'd brought my skis instead. There was about an inch of new snow on a very firm 4" base, and though that's a little thin, it definitely would have been skiable, if somewhat lumpy. I snowshoed the main ski trail loop, and decided that as long as we don't get a cataclysmic warmup or rain event in the next few days, this trip would be on for the first clear night. Looks like some clearing over the weekend.

Unfortunately, either or both of those events are quite possible. I'm now at home, the temperature is 52F, my paltry overnight snowfall is gone, and tomorrow is expected to be a little warmer with a chance of some rain. The base I saw today won't be going anywhere, and this trip could still go, but I'll need to check things again on Friday or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment