Saturday, April 24, 2010

Golf - Camillus Country Club

Tough day on the links today. Holly needed to be in Syracuse for a church-related conference, so we decided to stay at my mother's house, and I would play golf with my brother while she went to her conference. We would be playing at Camillus Country Club, a hilly layout that I probably haven't played in at least 30 years. On the plus side, it's pretty wide open, and errant shots are usually playable. But not always...



The course was in beautiful shape, and the greens were like lightning, a fact that took some getting used to. It seemed like I found a lot of the minimal trouble that was available, but there were a still a few highlights. I chipped one in, though not for anything like par, and also made a couple of longish putts and had a few pars. But I think two things killed me. First, this was the hilliest course I had played in some time, and the odd stances may have caused me problems on many shots. Second, this was the first full-length 18 holes I had played since about the early 1990s. For the past couple of years, I've been playing 9-hole full-length and 18-hole par 3 courses, but both of those involve far fewer shots to mess up. The second nine today was worse than the first, and I was tired and could feel I was fighting to remain focused on every shot. Instead of averaging bogey golf as I have been, today was more like a double-bogey day. But finishing with a par is always a good thing, and I'm sure I'll keep going back for more. After all, this was also a very early season struggle.

It was a good outing, and Walt and I got to spend some quality time together and catch up on family stuff. It was also a beautiful spring day to be outside, before the upcoming 3 days of constant rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment