Friday, January 22, 2010

Snowshoeing - Featherstonehaugh State Forest

Featherstonehaugh State Forest is the nearest "high elevation" area to home, only about 20 minutes away, and 1400' above sea level. I'm leading a full-moon snowshoeing outing there sometime next week, and needed to know the status of the trails following some heavy logging last winter. I took my snowshoes today and went for a short walk to check it out.

I wish I had taken my skis instead! There was about a foot of total snow, with a somewhat fresher inch or two of powder on top of an icy base. There were ski tracks on the main ski loop, and it didn't look bad! The logging of last year left things looking a little sloppy here and there, but the trail itself was basically OK and usable for a nighttime outing. Snow conditions will change drastically over the weekend, with sleet, freezing rain, and then some heavier rain expected. I'll need to revisit that next week, but at least the trails don't seem to be obstructed or trashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment