Saturday, March 14, 2009

Biking - Season Opener!

We're in for a string of nice weather, with mostly sunny skies and temps in the 50s. With skiing on the wane, it's time to get out on the bike. I did a bunch of yard cleanup in the morning and early afternoon, saving the warmer late afternoon for a ride.

My good bike, a 2005 Trek 520, is currently in pieces in the basement:



With the good winter we've had, I've been too busy having fun to put in the bike maintenance time that I usually do in the winter, so now is the time. Of course, that only makes me want to get out and ride even more. So, today, I got out the old 1973 Gitane French 10-speed and took it out for a ride.



I've maintained it well over the years (decades!), and it's still a sweet ride. Before I retired a year or so ago, this was my commuter, and it's still like an old friend.

I did a 13.35-mile loop from my front door, going out Kings Road to Old State Road, and returning via Lydius Street to Hamburg and home. Temps were in the mid 40s, but it was very comfortable for riding, with only a light wind. There's no excuse for not doing more of this now that the nice weather is (temporarily?) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment