Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Disc golf - Getting out before the winds

Last week, Holly picked up some golf discs at her church rummage sale, and I was anxious to try them out.  They included a "driver", a mid-range disc, and a "putter".  I already had each of the first two, but no putter.  So this would be a "get acquainted" day with these new discs, with no expectation of scoring well.  I got out early this morning, because we were expecting some serious winds later on.

It turns out that different discs, and discs from different manufacturers, do indeed have different "personalities".   I'd been using a driver and mid-range disc from DisCraft, and these new ones were from Innova, two of the bigger golf disc producers.  I discovered that I could do things with my previous discs that I was unable to do with these newer discs, in terms of steering them different ways and that sort of thing.  It was an eye-opener, and definitely affected my scores, and not in a good way.

Then there was the new "putter".  I've been saying all along that I would never own one, because it just seemed pretty silly.  Well, I'm sold.  This one saved me on several occasions after the wayward behavior of the other discs, and I will now continue to carry it, along with the other two original discs I'd been using.

The wind was coming up as I finished the second and last round, but with a 70-67 for the day, I was not that far off my average.  Next time should be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment