Monday, April 30, 2012

Biking - Test ride for a bum knee

With Holly heading to a conference in Rochester on Saturday, I tagged along and spent the day at my mother's place near Syracuse.  There was some spring yard work to be done, and since I would be there anyway, it was an opportunity to help out my two brothers in that area who cover this stuff all the time.  I even got in a round of disc golf at Jamesville Beach County Park in the morning, and then spent the afternoon tackling the other stuff.  Somewhere along the way, I must have done something to my knee, because it was very sore and tender when I woke up at home on Sunday morning.  I spent Sunday limping around and not doing very much.  So today, I wanted to get out.

I decided on a flat easy bike ride, with options to extend it if things went well.  So I headed west along the Mohawk with options for rides of 8, 15, or 32 miles, depending which bridge I crossed.  The good news is that biking is no problem for whatever is going on with the knee.  I wound up riding from Schenectady to Amsterdam and back, the 32-mile choice, and had no pain at all.  It didn't help that I hadn't biked in 9 days, and that the trip back east was into a headwind, but c'est la vie.  It was a good ride, and probably good knee therapy as well.  I'll have to baby it for the next few weeks with some serious hiking coming up mid-May.

No comments:

Post a Comment