Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Walk - Christman Sanctuary

With a couple of rainy days coming up, and not feeling especially inspired to bike, I decided to at least get out for a walk. And the Christman Sanctuary, near Duanesburg, is one of my favorite places. Today, the water was low enough that I was able to cross the stream easily and walk the orange loop on the other side of the stream. This gave me a longer walk, and also some scenery other than just the usual cascades and waterfalls.



Most of the leaves were down, creating colorful patterns on the forest floor.



The last hangers-on were the golden beeches and the bright yellow tamaracks.



There was still plenty of green in the more shaded areas, with the ferns and moss growing beneath the tall hemlocks.



Crossing back over the stream at the end of that loop, I visited the main waterfall at the end of the yellow trail, as well as some other pretty cascades along the way.





From there, it was a short walk back to the car. I hadn't seen another soul in the Preserve on a very bright crisp fall day.

No comments:

Post a Comment